Matthias Mollner was born on 22nd of October, 1984 in the Lower Austrian town of Gmuend, in the borderland to the former CSSR.
Until the age of 9, he lived with his parents and younger brother in the parish house of a village in northern Lower Austria. Both parents worked in Christian professions and gave their sons catholic-liberal values on the way.
Mollner’s childhood was characterized by an almost unlimited freedom, which allowed him to follow his research urge and to explore the world on his own. He developed a close contact with the surrounding nature. He found animals and plants in the large garden of the house as well as on the farm of the neighbours, where he worked as a welcome assistant. There he brought cows to the pasture or helped with the haymaking.
Early on he saw himself as an adventurer and explorer. Mollner dug holes in the ground of the parental garden and showed first performances. At that time, the term art had no meaning for him, but here he already developed the structures that will distinguish him as a later artist. The representation of the body in space became his most important tool.
As a child, Mollner struggled with skin and respiratory diseases that severely restricted his physical condition for a long time. The healing of the disease in early adolescence gave him the opportunity to deal with his own body also athletically for the first time. He started with swimming and rock climbing and trained regularly.
Driven out of the parish house by an insane priest at the age of 9, a forced migration of the family took place to a new place of residence half an hour’s drive away. This first big caesura had lasting consequences. Mollner now lived in a very conservative and closed-minded milieu and had to fight for his freedom. He was a good student, but he struggled with the social tightness surrounding him.
Music was an important means for him to satisfy his creative hunger. He started playing the drums and became a member of the local brass band.
The experiences that Mollner made with the fogging effect of alcohol as a in the countryside living teenager caused him to break away from social conventions and henceforth to refrain from any further drug use.
After completing elementary school, Mollner attended the School of Metal Design in Steyr (Upper Austria) from 2000–2004, where he received an arts and crafts training as a blacksmith and metal sculptor. Here he was supported intensively and could fully develop his abilities. But here too, the desire for freedom was stronger. Mollner felt more and more as an artist than a designer. He began to deal fine art on his own, started to paint, built sculptures, installations and environments. After completing his training, his path was decided. He became a freelance visual artist.
From 2005 Mollner realized first public exhibitions and performances. Through contact with older artists, he soon became part of a network in which he regularly showed his projects.
From the beginning his art has been critical and existential. The intensity of experience is an important criterion for him, especially in his own work.
In addition to artistic work, Mollner also started to curate the exhibitions of other artists.
In 2010 Mollner started a life, love and work partnership with the 15 years older dancer and performance artist Gerda Schorsch. Under their brand MOLLNER & SCHORSCH they realized sculptural-theatrical performance projects, exhibitions and films. With their „basecamp“ project, the duo mixed up the urban space of Vienna; In guerilla style, prominent squares were played, objects were placed on rubbish bins and museum facades and performances with pigs were showed. After two years of intensive work Gerda Schorsch died unexpectedly in the spring of 2012 from a cancer. This deep cut was also a new beginning in Mollner’s artistic work.
Repeatedly he worked in cooperation with other artists. From 2016 to 17 he realized projects with his former life partner, the Iranian artist Negin Rezaie.
- Since 2021 he is a member of the Künstlerhaus, society for visual Artists Austria.
Mollner’s artistic work is not limited to individual areas within a closed (art) system. In addition to the works that he shows in exhibitions or as performances, his speciality is the examination of public space. His artistic resources are diverse. Various media such as performance, sculpture, installation, photography, image, video and music are mutually dependent and constantly being recombined.
His early contact with nature is also reflected in his art. In his works, he refers to human existence and how it relates to its environment. It follows a critique of the current capitalist system and the attempt to take an alternative path.
Mollner works with humans and animals.
He lives in Vienna and Lower Austria.
- Can anybody hear me___Group Show (object)___ip.forum___Vienna
- Congress of the Knowing___Sculpture, installation___Public space under the Lentos Art Museum___Linz/Donau
- Leere und Dichte___Group Show___Dokumentationszentrum für moderne Kunst Niederösterreich___Sankt Pölten___ Lower Austria
- The Hole House___Performance (at the Live Art Varieté)___Central___Linz
- Playing in a hole___Solo Show (objects and photographs)___Kulturdrogerie___Vienna
- Querverschiebung eines Wurmlochs — Eine Raumkörperanatomie___Performance and installation___Domenig Steinhaus___Steindorf/Ossiacher See___Carinthia
- flora pondtemporary___Group Show (performance sculpture “Wormhole”)___Stiftsteiche Sankt Florian___Upper Austria
- Natur ! PRO_dukt/___Group Show in public space and Traismauer castle (installation “A Village for Worms”, sculptures, photos, pictures)___Traismauer___ Lower Austria
- A bed is a serious place___Performance and installation with audience participation___NonStopScheiner___Institut for Art in public space Styria/Museum Joanneum___Graz
- Galerie ModulArt___Group Show___Vienna
- Evolution Revolution Worm___Solo Show and performance___Symposion Lindabrunn___Lower Austria
- Wormhole___Sculpture and performance in public space___Symposion Lindabrunn___Lower Austria
- Kriech mit mir durch Wald und Flur___Performance and installation___Kunstverein URHOF 20___Grünbach am Schneeberg
- FIFFI (Fundamental Impotence Follows Fucking Ignorants)___Performance in public space___Body and freedom festival___Zuerich, Switzerland
- Abtauchen___Performance___Alte Schmiede, Kunstverein Vienna
- YOU where is your revolution?!___Solo Show___Hörnesgasse 10 – Room for Contemporary Art___Vienna
- The Glasshouse___Sculpture, 24-hour live performance in public space and video___Mistelbach___Lower Austria
- Die Muecken kreisen___Live performance at OKTO TV___Setzkasten___Vienna
- The Glasshouse – Wolkersdorf Objekte___Group show in public space___Wolkersdorf___Lower Austria
- The Carousel___Object, Week-long performance in public space and video___Museum Niederoesterreich and Kunst- und Kulturverein LAMES___Sankt Poelten
- lines___Group Show___Installation and performance „Man in Cage (The way we go now or later or never)“___offspace spenglerei___Vienna
- Base Camp 22–25___4 Interventions (performance expeditions) in public space___Volkstheater, Josefstädter Straße, Donaukanal, Am Graben___Vienna
- The monkey theater – First actions___Solo Show (video, photography)___Kulturdrogerie___Vienna
- Matthias Mollner´s U___Group Show (sculpture and performance)___Kunstraum Niederoesterreich___Vienna
- Time is Love.7___Group Show (video)___The Invisible Line Gallery – London (UK), Gallery Talmart – Paris (F), Pink Gallery, Seoul (KOR),
- Vovatanya Gallery – Kharkiv (UA), Photon Gallery – Ljubljana (SLO)
- El Toro___Two part performance___Leopold Museum___Vienna
- The Runner___Performance___Tanz*Hotel___Vienna
- 30. International Shortfilm Festival Hamburg___Germany
- Oelrausch (Oil Rush)___Sculpture, performance and film___Langschlag___Lower Austria
- Hans im Glueck (Hans in luck)___Group Show and performance expedition___Kunstraum Niederoesterreich___Vienna
- Base Camp 20___Intervention (performance expedition) in public space and installation in the Galerie 3___Klagenfurt, Carinthia
- The Runner – Level 2___Performance___Tanz*Hotel___Vienna
- Base Camp 21___Intervention (performance expedition) in public space___Mariahilfer Strasse___Vienna
- Art Fair „Art Austria“___Exhibition at the booth of the Galerie Ruberl___Leopold Museum___Vienna
- Nasse Erde 3___ Performance and installation at the exhibition REIGEN.im.Park___Arthur Schnitzler Park Baden___Lower Austria
- Base Camp 18___Intervention (performance expedition) in public space___Ottakringer Strasse___Vienna
- Base Camp 19 / Rolling Balls___2-hour Performance___Herbstfestival Neubau___Mariahilfer Strasse___Vienna
2010: Formation of the artist duo MOLLNER & SCHORSCH by Matthias Mollner and the dancer and performance artist Gerda Schorsch.
2012: Gerda Schorsch die in April after a short and heavy disease.
2012 (MOLLNER & SCHORSCH)
- Crossbreeds___Group Show (video)___Kabelwerk___Vienna
- WERK.zeug.SCHAU___Solo Show with the works of MOLLNER & SCHORSCH___Kunstfabrik Groß Siegharts___Lower Austria
2012 (Matthias Mollner)
- Unplugged Session___Video and performance___Schikaneder___Vienna
- Der Riese___Sculpture in public space___Muckenkogel, Lilienfeld___Lower Austria
- Base Camp 14–17___4 Interventions (performance expeditions) in public space___Rathaus, Freyung, Augustinerkirche, Theseustempel im Volksgarten___Vienna
2011 (MOLLNER & SCHORSCH)
- Base Camp 1–13___13 Interventions (performance expeditions) in public space___Am Graben, Albertina Museum, Stephansplatz, Kohlmarkt, Staatsoper, Stadtparksteg, Kärntner Straße, Karlsplatz, Heldentor___Vienna
- Das Dorf___Sculpture and performance in public space___Symposion Lindabrunn___Lower Austria
- Art Walk Groß Siegharts___Group Show (sculptures, video)___Project space for young art___Groß Siegharts___Lower Austria
- Symposion Lindabrunn___Performance in public space___Lindabrunn___Lower Austria
- Base Camp / Die Unzaehmbaren___Solo Show in the artspace „umraum.stadtbureau“ and 3 interventions (performance expeditions) in public space Vienna___Naschmarkt, Fritz Gruenbaum Platz, Mariahilfer Strasse___at Vienna Art Week
2010 (MOLLNER & SCHORSCH)
- Elixier (Prolog)___Performance and installation___Kunstfabrik Groß Siegharts___Lower Austria
2010 (Matthias Mollner)
- Das Dorf___Sculpture in public space___Groß Siegharts___Lower Austria
- respekt, text, objekt___Group Show (installation)___Petersburg, Raabs___Lower Austria
- Galerie linda___Group Show (video)___Hamburg___Germany
- Angst___Group Show (photographs, performance and installation)___Kulturkeller and Schlosssaal Dobersberg___Lower Austria
- WARGAMES — Das transsexuelle Wohnzimmer___Performance and installation___Kunstverein subetasch___Gmuend___Lower Austria
- translocation 09___Group Show (installation)___Grafenschlag___Lower Austria
- Galerie Kunstfabrik___Group Show (installation)___Groß Siegharts___Lower Austria
- 18. Kunstwoche Grafenschlag___Group Show (installation)___Grafenschlag___Lower Austria
- Die MATTHIAS MOLLNER Performance Show___4 performances and installations___Kunstfabrik Groß Siegharts___Lower Austria
- Revierverteidigungsstrategien___Performance___Audimax, University of Vienna
- Nebelgeister___Lecture and performance___Galerie blaugelbe___Zwettl___Lower Austria
- Kunstverein subetasch___Solo Show (pictures, performance)___Gmuend___Lower Austria
- Designlandschaften___Solo Show (sculptures, photographs, drawings)___Galerie im alten G´richt___Groß Gerungs___Lower Austria
- Schnaps und Helium___Solo Show (sculptures, photographs, drawings)___Brauhausgalerie___Freistadt___Upper Austria
- Ich bin ein Patriot___Solo Show (videos, photographs, drawings, performance)___Galerie linda___Hamburg___Germany
- translocation 08___Group Show (sculptures, drawings)___Petersburg___Raabs___Lower Austria
- 17. Grafenschlager Kunstwoche___Group Show (installation, performance)___Grafenschlag___Lower Austria
- Eiszeit (Ice Age)___One-week performance and installation___Museumsquartier Vienna
- Lange Nacht des Films___Group Show (videos)___Galerie blaugelbe___Zwettl___Lower Austria
- Nord Art___Group Show (video)___Carlshütte Büdelsdorf___Germany
- 16. Grafenschlager Kunstwoche___Group Show (installation, performance)___Grafenschlag___Lower Austria
- Galerie 42___Group Show (photographs, installation, performance)___Allentsteig___Lower Austria
- Maßnahmen zur Eindämmung der Seuchengefahr im großstädtischen Raum___Performance in public space___Linz___Upper Austria
- Boom!!!!___Performance in public space___Litschau___Lower Austria
- Lange Nacht des Films___Group Show (video)___Galerie blaugelbe___Zwettl___Lower Austria
- Die Schere___Installation and performance in public space___Groß Gerungs___Lower Austria
- Translocation___Group Show (sculptures, installations and performances)___Studios and shops in Grafenschlag, Allentsteig and Litschau___Lower Austria
- 15. Grafenschlager Kunstwoche___Group Show (installation, performance)___Grafenschlag___Lower Austria
- Galerie Böhner___Group Show (photographs)___Mannheim___Germany
- Art Fair Salzburg___Group Show (installation, video)___Salzburg
- A beautiful day in summer___Performance___Schikaneder Vienna
- Kreaturen___Solo Show (sculptures, paintings)___BluesBakery___Steyr___Upper Austria
- Technorganic___Solo Show (sculptures, paintings, performance)___Kulturhaus Arbesbach___Lower Austria
- bild-objekt-kunst___Group Show (sculptures, paintings, drawings)___Kulturhaus Groß Gerungs___Lower AustriaWee
- Contest winner___A bed is a serious place___Institut for Art in public space Styria/Museum Joanneum (To the website)
- Second prize___Mein Abtenauer Jungbrunnen (fountain of youth)___Fonds zur Förderung von Kunst am Bau und Kunst im öffentlichen Raum Salzburg (To the Website)